Tuesday, November 11, 2008

YouTube

I experienced YouTube for the first time yesterday. I spent a few minutes watching a video of a Battle of Hastings (1066 AD) reinactment (I'm a big medieval history freak). I think it was actually filmed on location.
For the remainder of that lunch hour, I watched videos of rock band performances. I caught clips of Black Flag, Orange Goblin and Venom. Now, I'm a big Black Flag (Rollins & co.) fan and I followed their career pretty closely, but even I was stunned by the amount of footage of their early 80s performances that's still floating around out there. I'm amazed that this stuff has shown up all these years later.
The site is easy to use. Just type a keyword into the search field (after selecting the appropriate tab, "videos", "channels", or "communities") and be overwhelmed by the number of results that pop up. You can find some really obscure stuff there! The videos play quickly and most have decent sound quality.
I also clicked on "communities" and typed "columbus library" into the search field and CML's web channel popped up. This is a great tool for customers and staff (though I think that staff should have their own private channel featuring things like tutorials in the vein of those presented by Gerald and Joy throughout Learn & Play).
YouTube is a lot of fun, but unfortunately it's not of much use to me at home because I still use dial up and the videos take forever to play! Hence, I'll just have to access it from here at work!

No comments: