Tuesday, November 18, 2008

DONE!!!

My favorite Learn & Play discoveries were/are Bloglines (w/RSS feeds), LibraryThing and a site I found through the Web 2.0 Tool Box, Stumble Upon. I also found Twitter, YouTube and a few of the Online Productivity Tools to be of some value (for their work related utility and/or entertainment value). The remaining "things" (especially del.icio.us) I was not so hip to, but time (and possible continuing experimentation) will tell.
How has this experience affected my life long learning goals? Well, it's encouraged me to be a bit more daring with new technological discoveries and not be so backward when it comes to developing web applications. These exercises have stirred my curiosity and prompted me to look into websites from home that I, honestly, never would have bothered with (or even known about) had it not been for Learn & Play.
The biggest unexpected outcome/surprise take away from my L&P experience was/is my enthusiasm for the family tree builder at myheritage.com . I spent a lot of time working on this and will no doubt spend lots more time on it in the future. This is yet another website that I discovered through the Web 2.0 Tool Box. Also, I found a neato Random Dungeon Generator through a Flickr 3rd party link (yes, I am a D&D geek).
As for things that maybe should have been done differently, I only have a couple suggestions. First, the program should have been LONGER (perhaps a full calendar year). I really think that participating staff would have got so much more out of this experience if they hadn't have felt so RUSHED! Second, maybe the program should have focused a bit more on day to day practical applications in a working library environment (I know, I know, the second word is "PLAY", afterall...). What I mean is, throw in a little something that deals with what a typical customer may expect from public service staff out in a branch (a very concrete example would be anything ipod related...I know we don't deal with this stuff now, but I get the feeling we're going to have to at some point in the not-so-distant future).
Yes, I would participate if another Learn & Plan came about (AND the organizers were mindful of my suggestions in the above paragraph!).
It's been interesting!
Out

No comments: